Tuesday, October 08, 2013

A Cozy Fall Start to the Week!

Yesterday Noah was off of school for a teacher in-service day. I really really meant to get us over to our friend's house to play, but it never quite happened. I'm really bummed, I think she was processing apples to make and jar homemade applesauce! That would have been so cool.  Like in Baby Boom, Country Baby Applesauce! That would have been us! Well, it would have been her!



(Even though I can't remember much of them, gosh I love the 80's. It was so much better in the 80's.)

There was so much to do yesterday though, and I was home waiting for a package to arrive. (I didn't want them leaving it to sit on our front porch.) We ran an errand too, and by the time everything was said and done, it was getting late.
My throat's been hurting and I'm a little tired, so maybe it was a good thing that I didn't head over with my potential cold germs.

One way that I know fall is here, is because yesterday I got out the knit blanket that goes under Noah's quilt in cold weather. I washed and dried it, and made up his bed. I hope it helps to keep Noah warm!
I also turned on the heat in the house.

Since it I was feeling excited about the change of seasons, and Halloween is just around the corner, I wanted to surprise Noah and Jon with a little fall family fun night! I planned a dinner of lasagna because it's a great cool weather food, and I also made some spiced pumpkin cake with Trader Joe's mix. The cake was so quick and easy by the way. We love Trader Joe's seasonal cake mixes. This time I made a sugar glaze for the top


This is the Classic Cheese Lasagna that I found and Martha Stewart's site.  It was really really delicious and left us with lunch for the next day. I served this vegetarian lasagna with a simple salad and some fruit. I had to work hard to practice moderation. It wasn't easy. Yikes!


After dinner was the fun part. I checked out the Disney movie "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" from the library".  Jon made he and I some tea and then we cut into the pumpkin cake.


Trader Joe's White Peach Ginger Tea. VERY GOOD!


Unfortunately, I fell asleep ten minutes into the movie at about 7:30. SEE, I am a morning person, NOT a night person. Although, maybe 7:30 doesn't count as "night"yet  and I was just a little exhausted.

I haven't done an outfit post in a while because I wear the same things over and over and over. It was cold enough today to wear my new sweater all day for the first time, so I thought I'd take a picture. Even though I might look like a granny, this outfit is so soft and comfortable and warm.


Keepsake in Ivory - Boden
Floral Dress from Last Year - Boden
Unflattering but Comfortable Boots from Last Year - Boden
I am Happy to be Using a Backpack Again - Vera Bradley last year

Hey, I need to say something about backpack purses, AKA: mini- backpacks. I love them. I like the LOOK of all other bags and purses better, but I love the FUNCTION of mini-backpacks the most. I know they're a little kindergarten chic, which is actually not cool when you're 36, but mini-backpacks just make my back FEEL BETTER.  I love my super versatile, brown leather cross body purse that I've been using for the past month, but today I just didn't feel like hanging what feels like 5lbs of purse off my hunched over shoulder all day.  I don't know why, but being balanced to one side just gives me a backache in the end. Does that happen to you too? So yeah, mini-backpacks are awesome because they don't give you back pain and you can run around hands-free, which is kind of nice. 

I'm really excited about one thing that happened today.... I bought new yarn! The exciting part though, is that it is thick, woolly yarn, and I haven't bought such bulky yarn since last winter! I love working with chunky, warm yarn.  Loops & Thread's "Cozy Wool" was on sale, so I bought two skeins in beautiful "Spearmint to make a new winter hat.  I can't wait to get started.

So, I was trying to cut-back on the cheese heavy dinner dishes. It was all going so great until this week. I don't know what happened. I'll try to space it out better next time, but oh man, was this Martha Stewart Tortilla & Black Bean Pie ever delicious! Omg. Omg. 
Noah has refused to eat his dinner for the past two nights eight years. Is he ever missing out!


You sautee' garlic, onion, a Jalapeno pepper and some cumin. Then you add black beans, roasted corn and chives. Then you layer the veggie mixture with tortillas and cheese, all in a springform pan! Is that not brilliant!?


It's very easy too and created little mess. I served ours with rice, fresh guacamole and fruit.
Sometimes I feel badly for not making meat at dinner often..... until Jon pulled out the SECOND
Bahn mi sandwich  that he bought today. Bahn mi, for those of you who are wondering, are fabled to be one of the most delicious sandwiches in the world. They're Thai, and usually consist of fresh veggies, pickled things, and MEAT. So, I don't feel so bad. In fact, one of Jon's sandwiches today was smoked pork, and the other was steamed pork and PORK JELLY.  So yeah, a veggie dinner or two is ok. ;)


One more note. Isn't this nice? I was feeling bit under the weather today and a little stressed. Jon took a walk and came home with these for me. One of my favorites! Chocolate covered cherries from Sander's. Isn't that so nice of him? 
Maybe I should get on the treadmill twice today. Whoa! :)


I hope everyone is having a nice start to the week!!!


xoxoxoxo,
Lauren 

No comments: