Monday, April 24, 2006

Mushroom Sandwiches



I've been reading Nigella Lawson's excellent book How to Eat, and Sunday I decided we needed to try her mushroom sandwiches for lunch. It was the right decision.

To make these, you need just a few ingredients: portobello mushrooms (although I bet any big mushrooms would do), garlic, parsley, olive oil (Nigella uses butter), dijon mustard (although I subbed spicy deli and it was fine) and some type of crusty bread.

Turn the oven on to 400, shower minced garlic and parsley down upon the mushrooms, liberally coat with oil and roast for 20 minutes. Put a little mustard on the roll and make sure you soak the bread with a lot of mushroom juice. If something starts burning, take the dish out, it;s finished. I guess you could keep the mushrooms whole if you had a kaiser roll, but sliced was the way to go with these long ones.

You can't go wrong with this combination. It's hard to even call it a recipe, it's just a bunch of things roasted in a baking dish until they all kind of merge, and it's really, really good. Lauren and I didn't talk much, we just appreciatively chowed through our sandwiches until we were finished. I really didn't think Noah was ready for this much garlic (although later I read that Nigella disagrees), so I made him his first batch of pierogies (he got some butter). A good day for everybody.

Time: 20 Minutes, start to finish
Cost: $4.95 (Rolls $.50 x 2, Mushrooms $2.71, Parsley $.79/bunch, Garlic, Mustard and Oil already in house, but let's say $.45)
Personal Satisfaction Meter: Up There
Notes: With three decent mushrooms, there were leftovers for another large sandwich

How Bourgeois

4 comments:

George said...

champignon champignon champignon...
you forgot to include a link or better yet, a pic of ms. lawson for your readers who may not know who she is... (wink wink)

Jonathan said...

A fair point. People who would like to check out Nigella should click here:

http://nigella.com/nigella/index.asp

Laura said...

I am allergic to mushrooms but that still looks good! You guys sure have fun enticing your taste bugs. :)

Judy said...

Oh my - that is one yummy sandwich! I think I can smell it from here!