Thursday, March 30, 2006

How Bourgeois Produce Thursday Presents: Indoor Citrus

Michigan is not generally known for the quality of its' citrus fruit. I'm going to change that as soon as I can, by ordering some dwarf citrus trees I can pot and keep indoors from this company in California. Apparently, as long as they get enough light, they do OK:
Key elements for success are good light, adequate humidity indoors in the winter, well-drained potting soil, additional nutrients, and consistent watering. Take any one of those away and problems can develop. Supply them as indicated below, and you'll be on your way to a beautiful tree!
If you don't get 8-12 hours of sunlight a day in the winter, you can supplement with full-spectrum flourescent lighting. In terms of what to get, Meyer Lemons, Variegated Pink lemons, Kaffir limes and Trovita oranges all do well. The best part? One-year old plants are about $20; Two-year old plants around $40. Why get a Japanese maple you can't eat for $250, when lemons are so cheap? I'll keep you posted on how this turns out; I think I'm going to get a Meyer Lemon and maybe a Trovita orange (a "heavy producer!")


,

No comments: