Friday, June 10, 2005

Tomato Patch '05


I finally got some stuff in the ground, which has been a challenge because I have not been able to much work before Noah went to bed. Some evenings I have been gardening by floodlight, but last night I finally finished the rabbit fence (they are my constant and wily adversary) and in a month or two here is what this humble patch will start producing (let's hope):

Tomatoes:
Pink
Beefsteak (I think Goliath)
Red Pear (last year's yellow pear too watery, trying something new)
Brandywine
Rutgers

Basil:
Sweet
Bush
Red Rubin
Spicy

Peppers:
Jalapeno
Some unidentified little hot peppers I found in the Meijer graden center

Other:
Pumpkins
Zucchini

I bought almost everything from the Oakland County farmers market for $16. The Meijer peppers were a buck a plant, and the stakes were free packing materials from our warehouse. The fencing was about $3. Total investment for the season? Probably $25, not counting a couple of new tools. Tomorrow I might go back to the market to get some strawberries to plant near the garage, but otherwise I think I can start turning my attention to the front yard. Got to have tomatoes though, it's more important than getting the annuals in in the front.

1 comment:

Judy said...

There's nothing like home-grown tomatoes in the summertime.