Thursday, March 31, 2005

Asparagus for the Home Gardener

The MSU Ag School is one of the premier programs in the country, and I have been impressed to date by the resources available through their extension programs. As a still-novice home gardener, I had assumed that growing asparagus would be a challenge beyond my skills, and after reading this guide I am sure I could grow it.

That is, I could grow it if I had the kind of sandy soil in my backyard that asparagus seems to prefer. My garden tends to allow water to stand, which my tomatoes seem to love but would probably tick off asparagus. It does look as though asparagus would do well near Toledo and in Western Michigan though, and there must be many other sandy places I am not aware of.

Remember: Spear diameter can begin to drop as the bed ages. Grow this for a while and then rotate.

No comments: