Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Garlic Carrots


I wanted to share the recipe for the garlic carrots we have had twice so far this week, because they are so simple and so good it would be a shame not to know how to make them.

Wash, peel and chop up three or four carrots into thin rounds, and throw them onto a square of tin foil. Add a whole lot of peeled whole garlic cloves. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil (moisten - don't soak). Wrap up the foil tight, and throw on to a hot grill for around 20 minutes. Turn it a few times while it cooks. Don't leave it over the hottest part of the grill the whole time, but the moisture in the vegetables should keep it from burning. You can do this in the oven too, and it is excellent with just about any form animal protein - chicken breasts, flank steak, and firm white fish all come to mind.


The carrots totally absorb the taste of garlic while they cook, and the garlic softens and gets sweet. The oil is really just there to keep them from sticking to the foil, and much of it actually stays on the foil when you pour out the vegetables. Most of the actual cooking action comes from steaming the vegetables in their own moisture. I could eat this all the time.

3 comments:

Judy said...

That sounds divine - does Noah eat these?

We had chicken stir fry on Sunday, and I was feeding Tyler cooked carrots and beans (from a can - I'm lame). He likes them alright, but when I picked out the veggies from my stir fry for him - carrots, beans, snow peas and YES - BROCCOLI - he gobbled it up! Must've been the soy sauce! HAHA

Jonathan said...

He hasn't tried them, but I'm not sure why. I guess we're not sure if he's ready for (lots and lots of) garlic. Last night he started eating steamed broccoli though, and to our extreme surprise he loves it. Go figure.

Judy said...

With my first child, I was so careful about what I gave him...and he is the pickiest eater EVER. I'm not sure if me being so careful with his diet early on had anything to do with it, but I'm doing things a bit differently this time around.

As long as something isn't raw or crunchy, I let Tyler try it. Worst case, I'll notice a rash in a few days if it doesn't agree with him, but other than that, I just see what he does (keeping away from the obvious list of no-nos - peanuts, egg whites, cow milk, oranges, and such). That's how the broccoli episode came to be. There isn't a thing I've given him so far that he hasn't loved (knock on wood!).