Wednesday, September 24, 2014

A Little Update and Helping Out a Silver Sister With A Great Cause !

Hi friends!

Oh man, do I ever miss blogging. I'm sorry that I haven't been around much lately, but the sweet puppy is keeping me so busy during the day, and now I have some great volunteer work ramping up too! When Josie is sleeping, I'm doing housework, or online work or errands, and when Josie is awake, I'm trying to keep her from peeing on the floors or from eating any item left in her way. It's ok though, I figure, it's best to put in a few solid months of puppy attention and training, so that she turns out to be a well behaved and socialized pooch. Things are good, but hectic as can be, and I sure miss this little blog.

I feel stressed out these days. Like everyday is a race, a race to fit it all in. Going from 6:00am to 11:30pm has kind of worn me out, but it sure is easy falling asleep at night! :)

And I know this will sound completely silly, but it's almost as if I have a VERY small case of the "Puppy Blues." Does this even exist!? Like the baby blues... I don't know what it is, but taking care of a puppy all day and having less sleep and being a little isolated at home for the past two weeks, it's made me feel a little blue. Which is ridiculous because Josie is the cutest, most sweet puppy!
She's a good puppy too I should add, and we do get out of the house for many walks. I'm just trying to not leave her in her crate for too long while I'm out. So far, I've only been away from her for two-hours at most. I know crate training is important, I just think two-hours for a little puppy with a tiny bladder is enough. Like everything in life, it's just a phase, and I'm learning better each day how to accomplish things. Like today, I was able to sweep the kitchen floor while the puppy watched. It actually entertained her!

Oh, one more thing from today which was a total "DOH!" moment!
Josie woke up pretty early, 6:05am. I'd really love it if she could sleep a bit longer, just so I would have time to get dressed before the day begins and so that she doesn't wake Noah. Josie has slept until 6:45 and even 7:00 once before! Anyway, when she awoke at 6:05 this morning, I thought what I would do is take her out very quietly without being too peppy, and attempt to put her back in her crate, just until 7:00. It was dark outside, and maybe she would think this was a nighttime potty trip like we do each night around 11:30 or so. I tiptoe in, thinking I'm getting the hang of this. I put her leash on, carefully pick Josie up and head for the backdoor, when "WOOO WOOO WOOO WOOO WOOO!!!!!!!!"
Our CRAZY house alarm starts going off! OH NO!!!! I was so tired this morning that I totally forgot to turn off the alarm before opening our door!!! ACK!!! This alarm is the loudest thing you will ever hear. Poor Josie was so scared and the cats freaked out and bolted. I felt so terrible for scaring our pets. Noah was already awake and I'm sure annoyed, and Jon blissfully missed EVERYTHING because he was upstairs taking a shower. I am amazed that he couldn't hear the crazy alarm.

Everything was ok in the end, but you'd better believe it woke everyone up! Including Josie. I guess I wasn't so smart after all! ;)

************************************************

The weather has been fall-like, and then hot and humid, fall-like and then hot and humid. It just can't seem to make up its mind! I am thrilled though, as in years past, that autumn is here! For those of you who know me, you know that fall is my 100%, ultimate, FAVORITE! Everything about this season is just so great! Little Josie has been getting me outside for walks at least twice a day, so it's been such a pleasure watching the leaves slooooowly begin to change, and seeing all of the busy squirrels scrambling to bury their nuts. It's wonderful!

I wanted to pop in for a quick update, share a few pictures and to help out a fellow Silver Sister and reader with her great cause!

First, here are a few snaps from the past couple of weeks: (I'm REALLy sorry that they're so puppy-heavy. I promise that there will be more, non-dog related pictures soon!)

I mentioned in my last post that this week we were filming some promotional cooking videos in our backyard for Jon's company. My job was to take care of Josie and generally keep her out of the yard and not barking during filming. Hence, we spent a ton of time of walks, which was fun. One evening after filming wrapped, Jon and our friend who came into town to film, and I, were  sitting around chatting. It was the perfect time to sit and crochet, so I began making Josie a little dog sweater! I couldn't believe how quick and easy this project was! I just kind of eye-balled it and used up scraps of yarn.


She didn't mind when I put her sweater on, but she immediately started chewing on it like it was a chew toy. That little sweater would have been unraveled in minutes, so I sadly took it off.....
It's ok, we'll try again another time.

On a crochet-related note, I was asked to organize and head-up a year long project that Noah's class is doing. The children will be crocheting and knitting squares that will then be made into quilts! Their quilts will be presented at the end of the school year to a wonderful organization called "Alternatives for Girls" in Detroit. Alternatives for Girls offers several programs for at-risk girls and young women, one of them being a shelter. Girls new to the shelter will receive one of our quilts. This is to help them know that they are special, loved and cared for.

Initially I wasn't able to commit to coming into school every six days to crochet with the kids due to my now busy schedule. So, I'm enlisting parents and grandparents with a passion for knitting and crochet to help out! I'll be going into school myself too when I can, and when we are lacking volunteers and I'll continue to organize the project and match volunteers with days that we need them. I'd like to hopefully contribute my own squares at some point too!


Moving back to puppies from crochet.....
We go outside for "potty breaks" every 30 minutes during the day, unless she's napping. It took Josie a week to find this side of the yard. Right now the pea gravel path is overgrown with ivy. I call it "Josie's Secret Garden." She love to fly up and down the path. It makes her so happy.


She's like a little stuffed animal! Josie likes to lie on her back. This is her in the "playpen." The playpen that my Mother brought us is a lifesaver! It's 4' x 4' and Josie can go in there anytime I need to step out of view (although staying near by). Like when I cook dinner. Josie is just now starting to walk around the kitchen when the baby gates are up, but I have to follower her around. Just today she tried to eat the curtain and then attempted to eat the dirt out of Dustin Hoffman the palm tree's pot!


We took a morning selfie. She was sleepy. Josie has been waking up anywhere from 6:00am - 6:45am. She goes to bed at 8:00pm and we wake her and take her out around 11:00 or 11:30pm. Only one night so far has she woken in the middle of the night. I think she's doing pretty good for a three month old! :)


Uh oh! Didn't see this one coming!


Hey! It's not a puppy picture! Jon made us Okonomiyaki on the griddle! He made mine vegetarian. 


Learn more on about what Okonomiyaki is, and how to make it with this fun "Cooking With Dog" video!



Ok, that's all I have for you update-wise. I REALLY need to get back to my usual and take pictures of things other  than puppies and talk about things other than dogs. Thanks for being so patient. ;) 
Moving on!

A couple of weeks ago, a lovely reader named Justina wrote to me with the nicest email, thanking me for blogging about my gray hair experience. She has just about completed her own transition and looks beautiful! She was kind enough to gift me a set of really neat, Halloween silicon baking mats from her store! Isn't that sweet? :)


They're so cute, and I can not wait to find some baking time to use them. (I was imagining that sticky treats like candy apples and Rice Krispie Treats for Halloween would work well on them too!) Silicon mats are wonderful, they replace cooking spray and other disposable materials, like parchment paper. Cookies and other baked goods don't stick at all and they bake evenly! And, I love that these mats are BPA free. It makes me feel good about what I'm cooking on.

Justina told me that no review was necessary, and that she just wanted my family and I to enjoy her mats, but I'd like to share! There will be a new product and a very important campaign that will begin in October that I would like to tell you about.

Many of us know somebody who has been affected by breast cancer. In fact, right now, one of my best friends in the world is fighting her own battle against this far too common disease. In October, Justina is bringing to HER SHOP a set of silicon, breast cancer awareness baking mats, and donating $2 from each set sold to The National Breast Cancer Foundation. The reason that Justina selected this organization is because they provide free mammograms to women in need. The goal is for the sales of the breast cancer aweness mats is to raise enough money to provide 60 free mammograms! Isn't that great!? I love it. :)

If you're interested in a nice, universally useful baking product that can be given as a gift, or just for yourself, and you'd like to support a fellow Silver Sister, please take a peek at the beautiful pink mats and Vero Chef store ! It's a good thing!

Well friends, I need to keep moving. I have several half-finished posts with some good, non-puppy content that I hope to finish up soon.

Until next time, I hope you're out enjoying this gorgeous, new season!!!!

With lots of love, 
xoxoxox, 
Lauren 

2 comments:

ruthie said...

On the quilt project, I would like to offer a suggestion. Just to think about for later. I would like to suggest for a fundraiser to create quilts for a silent auction or a raffle. I know for a good fundraiser I will donate a lot more than if I were just buying for me. And for a handmade quilt I would probably drop hundreds. Perhaps this already on the radar for the non-profit, but just in case it's not thought I'd mention it. I've ran 2 Silent Auctions and it is very easy to get donations from local businesses. That does not have to be *your* project but a suggestion for someone (other than you) who feels like it's theirs to own and manage. It's very rewarding.

Lauren said...

Hi Ruthie!!!!

THANK YOU!!! That is a fabulous suggestion! I agree with everything you said, and what a wonderful thing, to win a quilt that you can bring home and love forever, AND help a fundraiser at the same time.

Actually, our school hosts a very large fundraising auction every other year. In fact, I chaired it a few years ago. We have a live auction, a dinner, and a silent auction at these events. If I'm remembering correctly, I feel like we had a beautiful quilt once. What a lovely auction item.

Thank you so much for your input, it's helpful for sure. I don't know what kind of fundraising this non-profit does, but I will ask.

I hope you have a nice evening. Thank you bunches!
xoxoxo,
Lauren