Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Drool

This is worth clicking to view full screen:


I just thought about something unfair in that previous post - there is at least one place in the Midwest, in Ann Arbor specifically, that does not serve food in huge bland portions, and in fact serves (still huge) portions of some of the best food in the country. I am talking about Zingerman's, about which enough has been written that I don't need to really explain how terrific it is, or about how one is actually happy to hand over money in exchange for a sandwich due to the extreme ensuing mouth-joy.

Suffice it to say that last Saturday when Lauren and Noah and I met Goldy in Ann Arbor, the sandwich above I had at Zingerman's was one of the best sandwiches I have had the privilege of consuming in a lifetime of sandwich-eating. This is the best whitefish salad in the country on top of terrific salmon on top of homemade cream cheese on top of onions and tomatoes and a homebaked bagel, with a new pickle on the side and some potato salad. It's tough to explain what a real treat it was to eat this, but per the previous post it remains lame to have to drive 45 minutes to get it. Some places exist as singular outposts, they are destinations, and it is worth getting there however and whenever you can. Zingerman's is such a place. That said, it would be nice to have a couple of said destinations within a bike ride of our house, because just like we are not moving back to California for the sushi, we can't live in Ann Arbor just for the whitefish salad.*


*Well, I could, but Lauren and Noah won't touch the stuff so it's pretty much out.

3 comments:

Jeremy said...

Let's all go down to the deli,
I'm sick and tired of Peanut Butter and Jelly.

Man, I love Zingerman's - hands down one of the best delis in the U.S.

And is it geeky that I was trying to find the typeface used on the wrapper in your photo? I think it's a House Industry font.

Man, I either need to get out more, or stay inside away from the general population.

Jonathan said...

I eat cheap during the week to save for the weekends. Anytime you want to go we're there. I actually thought it was a pretty cool font too, and that graphic theme carries through the whole restaurant, even the signs mandating that employees have to wash their hands after using the bathroom.

Jeremy said...

I admit, as a graphic artist, I get really excited about fonts, especially cool looking ones.

Well, except for Comic Sans.

I hate Comic Sans.