Saturday, July 08, 2006

Hi Risers




Lately I've really been feeling like I need a Hi Riser. This Cutlass I saw in Royal Oak last week is 'directionally' there because of the big wheels, but it's probably several inches too low to be a riser. I love it though, because there's something really menacing about the combination of classic muscle cars and really big, shiny wheels. Big body cars of the 60s and 70s provide an excellent basis for the huge rims, and when you jack them a few inches up in the air everyone stares at you. Sweet. I like this car because it reminds me of the first hi-riser I ever saw. I was having coffee outside at (the fondly remembered) Brazil, I think with my friend Intern Paul (might have been Pilot Josh), and this girl stopped at the traffic light next to the patio. She was very pretty, and was driving a custom gold flake mid-sixties Cutlass convertible, on huge gold Dayton wire wheels, and was blasting rap at about 115 decibels. This was in about 2000, so she was way ahead of the curve, and I've never seen anything like it again. It was amazing.

Last night at Borders I read the new issue of DONK, BOX & BUBBLE magazine cover to cover, and came to the realization the my life might not be complete until I have covered a '67 Crown Imperial in rhinestones and jacked it up on 24's. It would be life changing.

"Donk, Box & Bubble" defines a hi-riser thusly:
Donk, Box and Bubble hi-risers are usually old Chevys (from the '70s, '80s
or '90s) lifted to fit huge wheels. The bright, candy-colored paint, lifted
suspension, designer fabric interior and outlandish proportions give these
cars their signature style. While these vehicles may start as $800 shells,
owners drop $50,000 and more into these cars.
It goes on to say that the trend is defined by, but not limited to, models like the '71-'76 Caprice and the Monte Carlos, Regals and Cutlasses of the '70s and '80s. My taste definitely runs more to '60s iron, but it's not generally affordable to me or anyone else, and I'm guessing that's why these are the models that have become popular.

No comments: