Monday, June 20, 2005

Why I Left

More from my email vault, this time on why we came back from California:

> -----Original Message-----
> From: jonathan.xxxxxxxxxxxx@us.pwc.com
> Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2003, 4:28 PM
> To: xxxxxxxxxxxx@ziplip.com
> Subject: qrm
>
> now we sit in dark rooms, with projectors on, and talk about risk
> management.


After Enron imploded and Andersen went down in flames, consulting for a Big 5 (4) firm was not a fun environment. This meeting was my lightbulb moment that I had to go. We were sitting in a conference room whle some Risk Management partner was talking about the new regulatory challenges facing our industry. After about an hour and a half I raised my hand and asked if, in his opinion, there was a "white-collar profession more likely to send people to prison" than the one we worked in. The room stopped all activity for a minute while he composed an answer.

He looked at me and said, "No." That day I decided I was finished.

No comments: