Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Welcome to Detroit




Where I roll on them things every day.

No, really.

This is my least favorite Detroit weather - just above freezing, raining on your head, and it's garbage day so I needed to make two trips to the curb this morning before I could get in the car. Since it snowed this week, of course there is a ton of it on the ground turning into filthy slush by the minute.

On the other hand, it's auto show week! Every January, Detroiters take joy in going down to Cobo center for the premier auto show in the world - the North American International Auto Show! You park downtown, freeze your face off walking to Cobo, walk around looking at cars until you are ready to faint from hunger, and then go to Greektown for lunch. If you are really serious, you get your hand stamped so you can go back in the afternoon.

This year I am all about checking out replacements for my Integra, mostly of the 4-wheel drive variety. I like all of the new Nissan trucks (Pathfinder, Xterra, Frontier Crew Cab), but of all of them the Xterra that is coming out next month probably makes the most sense based on price and size. The Pathfinder is almost redundant to me because it is like a more expensive, cushier Xterra. The new 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee is very nice too though, and it is produced right here at the Jefferson North Assembly plant in Detroit, which is compelling. I grew up in Toledo, Ohio, where Jeep is an institution and the largest private employer in the city, and I have always wanted one. Reliability has been a concern though, so I think I would lease it. I have driven the new Toyota 4Runner, and it is very nice, but I cannot get past the bizarro exterior styling, even though my 1988 Corolla (burgundy with gold-sprayed rims)achieved 140,000 miles before my brother Daniel wrecked it.

So there is a lot to think about, and I am still open to suggestions. If anyone has any, please feel free to let me know.

No comments: