Monday, January 30, 2012

Snow & Peace

Ooooooooooooh, yesterday I was so happy!!!
It finally snowed more than just an inch or so of powdery dusting. This is Michigan people, it's late January! Our recent "no snow" thing has really gotten me down. One of the main reasons that I could not live in San Francisco long-term, was that I desperately missed the seasons!

I will never be a snowbird. I need to see my fluffy white flakes, and the leaves change golden. I need to sit on the porch and listen to a spring shower, and hear the crickets on a hot, humid night. I love the seasons. I love them more than I could ever say! I've always thought something was strange, to care about the changing of the seasons so much as I do. The rhythm, the knowledge of what comes next, the admiration for our great, big earth and what it does.

When you go out in nature, you are reminded that there IS something hidden, something yet to be fully understood. Something greater and more magnificent that just us.
A universal secret that we can only hope to understand. At least I hope to.

I'm sure I've spoken about "The World Is Too Much With Us" by William Wordsworth.
It is my ponder poem. It speaks to me. It reminds me of taking walks in winter, in the woods, and thinking.

The World Is Too Much With Us

BY WILLIAM WORDSWORTH
The world is too much with us; late and soon,
Getting and spending, we lay waste our powers;—
Little we see in Nature that is ours;
We have given our hearts away, a sordid boon!
This Sea that bares her bosom to the moon;
The winds that will be howling at all hours,
And are up-gathered now like sleeping flowers;
For this, for everything, we are out of tune;
It moves us not. Great God! I’d rather be
A Pagan suckled in a creed outworn;
So might I, standing on this pleasant lea,
Have glimpses that would make me less forlorn;
Have sight of Proteus rising from the sea;
Or hear old Triton blow his wreathèd horn.
Along with my Wordsworth poem for winter walking, I have a winter walking set of songs. I find them to be the perfect snowy companion and I'd like to share! They are both by Claude Debussy. The first is Reverie. This one makes you introspective and cautious and worried. But then, then you feel hopeful and an almost peaceful resignation to whatever might be.
The second song was my first favorite of Debussy's. I was taken in the minute that I heard it. Arabesque 1. Ahhhhhhh, Arabesque 1. is just about the most beautiful piece of music I have ever heard. It is falling snowflakes, it's "Hey! Open your eyes and look at your beautiful world around you"! It's what Mr. Rogers would have sounded like if he was having a conversation with you. It's just that lovely. I hope you can enjoy it too.

So it finally snowed, and I was content. This is what it looked like, quiet and gorgeous.

I forced upon them the obligatory "Stop what you're doing and let me take a posterity shot"!

Noah and his best buddy played in the backyard while I watched from inside. They thought it was hilarious to throw snowballs at me as I stood in the big windows. I found it a little more fun than actually getting hit.

Peace to everyone on this snowy day. Maybe you all have your little winter walk in the woods!
xo,
Lauren

No comments: