The following six assembly plant sites will be affected in the years indicated:
* Oklahoma City, Okla., will cease production in early 2006.
* Lansing, Mich., Craft Centre will cease production in mid-2006.
* Spring Hill, Tenn., Plant/Line No. 1, will cease production at the end of 2006.
* Doraville, Ga., will cease production at the end of its current products' lifecycle in 2008.
* The third shift will be removed at Oshawa Car Plant No. 1, in Ontario, Canada, in the second half of 2006. Subsequently, Oshawa Car Plant No. 2 will cease production after the current product runs out in 2008.
* The third shift will be removed at Moraine, Ohio, during 2006, with timing to be based on market demand.
6 car plants? 12 total facilities? 30,000 people? How many people does that impact? 150,000 family members? Thousands of businesses these workers buy from? It's tough to calculate. I guess if you own GM stock you should be glad about this, although the market doesn't seem to care, but in human terms it seems pretty disastrous.