Sunday, January 16, 2005

"Closed lots frustrate Saturday car buyers"

I really thought that at this point in the weekend I would be writing about my impressions of the Grand Cherokee and the Pathfinder, but it turns out that due to decades of labor disputes (and rumors of anti-competitive dealer practices) virtually no auto dealers in the Detroit area have Saturday hours. This is in marked contrast to the rest of the country, where Saturday sales hours provide convenience and accessability to the majority of customers for whom it is a struggle to shop before 6pm on weeknights or two late nights a week.

In trying to figure out why this was the case, I came across this article from the Detroit News that attempts to explain the matter. I personally think it is a joke, to the point where I might go test drive cars in Toledo next weekend if I cannot get into the dealers during the week.

No comments: